Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Windy, Wet Weather Doth Not Motivate Me

The blueberries have obviously been doing well without my help.

Was looking at my 2009 records and think I will push most of my major activity to the latter half of May. I did things earlier last year, but I just don't feel that the yields lived up to 2009. Then again, it could have just been the differences in weather between the two years.

Took advantage of the nice weather today and prepped some new wood planters that will be used for ornamental stuff. Will probably look into grasses and some other things that will add some visual interest throughout the year, as well as survive the winters on the rooftop. In the pipe dream category we'll go for lilacs and a fig tree, and to round everything out, a trip to the greenmarket for some annuals.

If the weather forecast holds for this weekend I think I'll prep two boxes and put in some french breakfast radishes and golden beets. If I have a free finger to hook a bag, may also take the speedy/lazy route and pick up some greens/lettuces from SHF at the greenmarket.

I'd been thinking about training some vines up a brick wall dominating our rooftop space...any suggestions? I saw this post with morning glories; I was also tossing around the idea of pole beans like scarlet runners, or maybe even hops (though I just read something about getting sticky when handling them). Thoughts?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,


I'm interested in possibly doing some advertising on your blog. Can you please email me at: vanessareed@boamail.com.

Thanks!

Van