Saturday, May 23, 2009

Challenges posed to rooftop gardeners


Yes, those are EBs in bondage. Warm weather today here in Brooklyn woke up many of the direct sowings I made this past week (see flickr feed for details). A wind rolled in and the black plastic mulch cover of the EB was whipping the seedlings about. Fortunately I was hanging out with my father-in-law so I asked about this slick knot I saw him use to roll and secure a rug. Of course I thought I had a handle on it, but when I went up to secure the mulch cover, I was stuck with some butcher's twine and ten thumbs.


I do have some lumber in early stages of prep for a GRG-style setup, but haven't gotten around to getting everything together. This will provide the windbreak as well as the support (when needed) for the plants.

No comments: